Wednesday, October 8, 2008

LiJang and the local markets

Hi,
Today we spent time in the local peasant market; this is the home of the Naxi minority people. Their dress is different from the Bai people in Dali where the women wear very elaborate headdresses of white, embroidered flowers on a red background. Here the dress is more subdued, blue and brown. The peasant market was the usual array of animals, vegetables and goods, some of which I have never seen before. There was a group of men standing at the gate holding birds of prey that are their pets! The kids would be amazed...women carrying huge baskets filled with produce on their backs with only a strap across their foreheads to manage the load. Tomorrow we will go to Chengdu and see the giant pandas. One of our group has a niece who will tell us what is important about the giant pandas. Hopefully they won't be sleeping when we go to see them and I can get some good pictures.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I don't think I realized there was such diversity of culture in China I'd read about it passing but never really paid much attention, which is kind of bad. Liv will be excited about the giant panda's she did quite a report on them last year and was pretty upset with earthquake and such. Glad to hear you are feeling well!

Mining Money Online Fast said...

Hi Julia,
Whizzer is doing great. He is real playfull when I come over and is eating his food. I have been sleeping over about every 2 or 3 nights also.
Also when I watch tv, he likes to get up on my lap and foll around. I think he pretends to be a lap dog.

I will post again soon.

Mike

Unknown said...

Great blog! Yes, Lijiang men keep falcons for hunting and clearing fields of mice.
Those women with the baskets secured around their head are likely to be Bai minority.
There's more info about the area at www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/happysheep/shangri-la-la/tpod.html